Wednesday 15 December 2010

Waxwing Heaven

I went down south this last week, I had a two night stay at my mums in Chester, during which I took in another match at Old Trafford, with my brother and son.

I then shot off down to Hereford to see my daughter, son in law and grandson, I stayed there for three nights. Then I shot down to Newport to help my son with his house move. I had hoped that I would get the opportunity to get some Waxwings from at least one of those locations, as there had been recent sightings in all three locations.

Hereford gave me the first of my opportunities, but the weather was foul.






















Later the same day the clouds broke and there was sunlight, although the birds stayed firmly where they had been earlier in the day, right at the top of the trees.






















Although there are three birds in each of the photos above, there were many more in attendance, I would estimate in the region of 35-40.

Hereford gave me the only opportunities for capturing these marvellous birds. Sunday was a particularly sunny day and fortunately for me the birds were feeding on  much more accessible berries.




They really are a cute bird to photograph.


The really light background in this picture is the painted wall of a house.


You have just got to love that swept back look.



There are so many of these being seen around the country at the moment that it would have been mega disappointing not to have managed a few close ups, I was a little sad that I'd only been able to take my 300mm lens with me, but at least using the 1D mk 3 I could use the 2x converter.

I got a few other shots of various things whilst I was on my travels, when I get chance to go through them I may post one or two on here.

As always click on the pics for a larger version, all pics are copyrighted and may not be reproduced without my permission.

No comments: