Saturday 20 April 2013

More of the same please.

On the odd occasion when the wind has been bearable and the sun shining I have been out with the camera, Its been a week of firsts. I saw my first ever Blue winged Teal, I saw my first Whitethroat of the year, first Grass Snake of the year, but its been a week where I have just enjoyed the proper start of spring. I have a few things to show you.



















Burton Mere RSPB has a large number of Little Egrets on site, I believe they have nesting pairs there, its unusual for them to come anywhere near the hides.

Burton also has a large number of Avocets and again many pairs nest there, It was at Burton that I saw the Blue winged Teal.

Today I took a trip to Prees Heath, just outside Whitchurch, Shropshire. Later in the year it will be the place to go for Silver Studded Blue butterflies, along with many other species. It's great for birds too including Skylark, Meadow Pipit, Yellowhammer, Whitethroat, Willow Warbler, etc. I saw the first Brimstone of the year and the first Whitethroat of this year.

















and a Meadow Pipit


















I took my macro lens out in the village this week and got the following,

Bombylius Major (Bee fly)






















Comma
















Peacock.

















I went out this evening with the sole intention of getting Rabbits. I know a couple of spots where there are good numbers but  getting close to them is not easy, well not until tonight, I didn't try to get them in the fields I sat in my car and waited for them to come nearer to me. I got two nice young ones, in two different areas.

















In my personal life I had some great news this week too, There was a witness to my accident in January and his account of what he saw confirms my version of events so hopefully the details will be settled soon.

Lets hope the weather continues to improve and there is more to follow.

No comments: