Sunday 8 February 2009

The Wyedean Forest Rally.

Another year another rally. Again the Weather had not been kind and the snow would see the closure of at least one stage.
It was with a feeling of trepidation that my son, his girlfriend, and I set off for the first stage.

I'm going to have my first whinge here. A big issue is made of the parking of the spectators car's in both the press and the rally programme. Drivers are encouraged to park in the official carparks, supporting a charity in doing so. I paid five pounds to park on the carpark at Speculation. I didn't park on the parking area, I had to abandon the car on the track about 50 yds in.

Despite the best efforts of a number of helpers my poor car could not get over the snow and ice. My point is this, it would have only taken a few trips from a tractor or similar up and down the track to make it passable but no effort had been made to ensure safe parking of the vehicles. I was not alone in my dissapointment. I will contact the rally organisers to voice my concern. I have followed the rally since 1997 and I honestly believe that this was the worst year so far for verge side parking on the roads around the forest. I hope that by bringing it to the attention of the organisers that lessons will be learnt.

My second whinge is a lack of information available on the approach to the carparks. The afternoon was due to feature a stage called Mailscot, basically around the area of Christchurch, Hillersland and Staunton. This was cancelled, but there was nothing to suggest this on the approach to Car park B.

So back to the event itself. I enjoyed it, it was fun watching some of the smaller cars battle their way around the first stage. I am told by my son that the winner was local man Nik Elsmore. My congratulations to him and his co-driver and team. I am not aware of any serious accidents or injuries to any competitor or spectator. This must be a good thing.
The Rally Winner, Nik Elsmore. Car No 5.
Last years winner Andy Burton.


Excellent use of the banking to keep you going I thought.


The vintage cars were in a class of their own this year. I loved seeing these old examples.
Car 314, a SAAB 96 V4.


Car 307, a Porche 911.


Car 305, a Volvo amazon?



How did it affect the wildlife? Who knows but I think it'll happen again.

No comments: