Sunday 5 July 2009

Leighton Moss and Morecambe

I've been staying at the Bay View Holiday Park in Carnforth. A large site overlooking Morecambe bay. Great facilities but too large a site really for my liking. That may not have been a problem if I'd been able to get out and about a bit more but the weather has been a little restricting. A tad expensive too. 19.00 pounds for electric hook-up pitch. However thats a problem that I can now rectify as I am a bonefide member of the caravan club and with a little planning I should be able to find sites for less than 12.00 a night. Still intend to make use of laybys where possible.

So why here? I am a spit and a fart from Leighton Moss RSPB reserve. I've only been once so far but I'm impressed. I was told that the Eric Morecambe hide was the best and I have to say that although I have not yet done them all it is pretty good. That said the scrape it overlooks is low on water now so it's not at its best.

Redshanks, Greenshanks, Little Gulls, Little Egrets, Dunlin, Lapwing, Heron, Greylag, Mallard, Great black backed gull, Coot, and Black Tailed Godwit were there on my visit.

I managed pictures of these,

Greenshank:

Heron:


Redshank:

Little Egret:

I've also seen the Marsh Harriers and a Hobby. The hobby was way, way away so no shots but I got to see him so thats a bonus, he was sitting at the top of a dead tree, a few hundred yards closer and it would have been an ideal shot.
There are a lot of Black headed Gulls with chicks and also Coots.
Moving on monday morning, so will update asap.

No comments: