Monday 3 March 2008

Cold, what cold?

Today was a beautiful day, spoilt only by the fact that I have caught a cold, thanks Andy.

A trip to Taynton on the Glos/Oxford border was planned. There have been regular sightings of Short Eared Owls. We've been here before I hear you say. A trip there on Sunday had been very productive although not for me. One blurred shot was the best I could do. Unfortunately my cold meant that I wasn't up to an early start so I backed out of the trip. Here's my one shot from yesterday.


Back to today, after a long lie in and a face full of medication I finally braved the cold weather and went to Brierley in sesrch of the elusive Hawfinch. After an hour I had, had enough. No Hawfinches had been seen.

I then went to Cannop to spend an easy hour watching the resident birds on the feeders. The hope was to see Brambling. Within minutes of being there I had seen Siskin and Reed Bunting.




I was joined by afore mentioned Andy Carey and we swapped sore throat, and bad sleep stories before settling down for Brambling. It wasn't long before we had Brambling coming down, at least two.


In addition there were numerous Robin, a Dunnock, and a Grey Wagtail.






There were also Great and Blue Tit, Blackbird, Nuthatch, and of course Chaffinch.

So, whilst I did not get to see the S.E.O's I did have a nice time. It's amazing how many species of bird are found around the Cannop ponds. They may not be rare or exotic but for a birder or photographer they are always worth a look.

No comments: