Wednesday 17 June 2009

Welsh Wales

Skomer Island, Pembrokeshire coast. I had never been before and was looking forward to a trip there this month. An added bonus was that I was joined by Chris Grady and Mike Smith. We descended on the place on tues 16th. I had no idea what to expect, I will express an opinion about the organisation of the place in my next post but today I will concentrate on how wonderful the place is and in addition the headland adjacent to it.

I guess Skomer is most famous for the puffins, The shot everyone tries to get is the puffin with a beak full of sand eels, I tried but I failed so this shot is just a puffin posing.


Its truly amazing to have puffins coming in to land just feet away from you and almost running between your legs to get to their nests. The shot above was taken with the 300mm lens.

Back at the landing jetty I got the first shots of the Razorbill another bird , like the puffin, that i'd not seen before.

Slightly taller than the puffin with its characteristic bill, unmistakeable really.

The Island has a good population of Rabbits, and I saw two black ones amongst them, unfortunately both times when we were moving from one spot to another so no pic other than this normal brown job.


On the boat back to the mainland we were tracked by this Gull. he flew alongside the boat about 6ft above our heads, this shot is taken with the 70-200mm lens whilst moving.


We also saw Gannet in the distance, not close enough to photograph.

More to follow in the next post. Including an amazing wildife rescue story that I witnessed myself.

No comments: